If you're a fan of hot styling tools like flat irons, curling irons, and blow dryers, it's time to talk about why you should be using a heat protectant. These tools can work wonders to create your look, but without proper protection they can also cause damage and even breakage. Let's explore why you should always use heat protectant and how to keep your hair looking its best!
What is a heat protectant?
A heat protectant is a superhero hair product that helps to shield your hair from the heat of styling tools. It's formulated to create a barrier between your hair and the heat, reducing the amount of damage caused by high temperatures. Plus, if you choose a heat protectant with nourishing properties, it even helps to lock in moisture, prevent dryness and make your hair shiny.
Why should you use heat protectant in your hair?
Using a heat protectant is crucial for several reasons. Firstly, it helps prevent damage to your hair caused by high heat. Hot tools can reach temperatures of up to 450°F, which can make your hair dry and brittle. Very dry and brittle hair is difficult to repair, and can even break when it becomes too weak. Using a heat protectant reduces the amount of heat that is absorbed by your hair, keeping it healthier. A heat protectant also keeps your hair looking shiny and gorgeous. By protecting your hair from damage, it helps maintain your hair's natural moisture, preventing it from becoming dull and lifeless.
How to protect your hair from heat
There are a few things you can do to keep your hair healthy and strong, even if you use hot tools regularly:
- Use heat protectant: by now you probably know just how important using a heat protectant is. A heat protectant spray usually lasts in your hair until your next wash, but if you use hot tools every day we recommend you reapply every time you expose your hair to heat.
- Lower the temperature: trust us, you don't need to turn up the heat to get a great look. Using a lower temperature setting on your hot tools can minimize damage and still keep your hair looking its best.
- Don't style wet hair: styling wet hair is a no-no as it is more prone to damage from hot styling tools. Make sure to blowdry your hair thoroughly or let it air dry completely before using a flat or curling iron. And don’t forget the heat protection before blow drying your hair!
- Use products for damaged hair: we know, it’s hard to completely stop styling your hair with heat. If you already have damaged hair, or you want to make sure it stays healthy, go for haircare products made for damaged hair that have repairing properties.
Best heat protectant for your hair
To achieve and maintain healthy and beautiful hair, we’ve put together a guide to our heat protectant sprays and how to use them:
Cream Heat Spray: this nourishing cream-based spray protects your hair from heat while also adding shine and moisture. Perfect to use in both damp and dry hair when you create your everyday style or going all out. And there is no need to skip on heat protection when you’re traveling as the Cream Heat Spray also comes in travel size!
- Quick Dry Heat Spray: blow drying your hair can take time and cause your hair damage, but with the Quick Dry Heat Spray, the process becomes quicker and more gentle on your hair. This product is a lightweight spray with water repellent ingredients that helps your hair dry in no time, while also leaving the hair with a glossy finish.